Sunday, August 1, 2010

Meditation for This Evening by C. H. Spurgeon

Many birthday wishes have come my way today, which causes me to be so thankful for the family and friends God has placed in my path, whether for a lifetime, a season, or a moment! You are all a gift to me! I treasure you and praise the Lord for you.

In my devotional reading for today, by no mere coincidence, C. H Spurgeon addressed Psalm 65:11, "You crown the year with your bounty..." with these comments, "All the year round, every hour of every day, God is richly blessing us; both when we sleep and when we wake his mercy waits upon us. The sun may leave us a legacy of darkness, but our God never ceases to shine upon his children with beams of love. Like a river, his lovingkindness is always flowing, with a fulness inexhaustible as his own nature."

(You can read the devotional in its entirety here: Meditation for This Evening by C. H. Spurgeon).

This side of heaven, I cannot know the full extent of God's mercy towards me - I know it is massive if it were only in the gift of His Son, which is the greatest gift of mercy ever offered - but my Father's tender mercy reaches even deeper, much deeper than that with bountiful blessings -unfathomable, immeasureable blessings, a store house full of unseen-by-human-eyes blessings, and all are certainly undeserved - but that's what mercy and grace is all about!

Today, I sing with the Psalmist: "Bless the Lord, O my soul, and all that is within me, bless his holy name! Bless the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits, who forgives all your iniquity, who heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit, who crowns you with steadfast love and mercy, who satisfies you with good so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's." (Ps. 103:1-5)

So glad my youth will be renewed...I'm pushing the big 5-0!

No comments:

Post a Comment